Manatee County Planning Commission Voted 4 to 2 to DENY the Comprehensive Plan Text Amendment reducing wetlands protections in a time when wetlands and our waters are experiencing significant trouble with red tide, algae, sea grass loss, staving manatees, etc. Thursday, August 10 the Manatee County Planning Commission did the right thing to deny to recommend these changes.
The Manatee County Commissioners do NOT have to follow the Planning Commission recommendations and frequently don’t. We need a BIG turn out on Thurs, 8/17 and TONS of comments and emails. Speak or not, wear blue, for water, so we can spot a supporter.Here is what you can do:
- Attend and comment at the Thursday, August 17 Board of County Commissioners Land Use Meeting
. 9:00 AM TIME CERTAIN Item # 6 – PA-23-06/Ordinance 23-66 – County-Initiated Comprehensive Plan Text Amendment – Wetland Protection The Agenda has meeting information.
IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE THERE, WHETHER OR NOT YOU SPEAK.
- If you intend to speak, sign up here. You cannot sign up until 9AM, Wednesday 8/16.
- Leave a written comment on the public record for the August 17 meeting. Written comments for the August 17 Board of County Commissioners Land Use meeting must be submitted here, www.mymanatee.org/comment. The deadline for comments is August 15, 2023, at 2:00 p.m.
- Send an email to each individual commissioner, for the first time or again. With the Planning Commission rejecting the change, there is even more reason for this not to be approved by the Commissioners.
- Call or text each county commissioner
- Meet in person with your county commissioner and/or the commissioners at large.
To ensure your voice is heard, use at least 2 of the above methods.
Spread the word:
- Forward this notice to everyone you can think of in Manatee and Sarasota Counties and ask for their help.
- Post a link to https://lwvmanatee.org/wetlands-action/