Tell Manatee County Commission what could go wrong if they permit county employees to carry guns at work! These extremist policies can cost the county and taxpayers and they are endangering all of us! Click here to find out how you can help.
The League position on Gun Safety
Curbing gun violence is a critical matter of public safety and health to restore public confidence in our government’s ability to protect communities and vulnerable populations such as children, the elderly, and people of color who are often targets of gun violence. In the wake of the continued national tragedies of repeated and preventable mass shootings and gun deaths, the League is urging Congress to act on comprehensive gun legislation. LWVUS submitted recommendations on common-sense steps to reduce gun violence to the members of the Senate and House Judiciary Committees. Comprehensive gun safety reform is desperately needed and Congress must act to save countless American lives.
As comprehensive gun safety reform is considered and implemented, it must include:
- closing the gun show loophole,
- providing universal background checks,
- banning assault weapons and placing limits on high-capacity ammunition magazine size,
- increasing penalties for straw purchases of guns, and
- funding research and reporting on gun violence in America.
The League of Women Voters of Florida seeks to reduce and prevent gun crimes, injuries, and deaths via:
- A state ban on all semiautomatic assault weapons and large-capacity feeding devices
- Comprehensive universal background checks and ensuring that the State provides all relevant records to the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)
- Continuing efforts to defeat unsafe gun legislation, such as Open Carry, Campus Carry, and Stand Your Ground expansion.
Join the Gun Safety Committee? Please contact Alice Newlon, (941) 779-4165, firstname.lastname@example.org
LWVUS Submits Recommendations on Gun Safety Reforms to Congressional Judiciary Committees
Florida Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence