Make a difference. Be an influencer. Participate in government. Let your elected officials hear from you!
Write a letter to the editor – often! Post it to your Facebook page.
(300 word limit/ 2 letters per month)
1111 Third Ave W
Bradenton, FL 34205
(200 word limit/ 1 letter per month)
Mail: Letters Editor
PO Box 1719
Sarasota FL 34230
405 26 Ave, Bradenton, FL 34205
Phone or write your representatives on issues important to you.
The information you need, phone numbers and addresses are here:
- To find who your State Representative is in Tallahassee, Click Here
- To determine if you are in State Senate district 20 or 22, Click Here for State Senate District Map of Manatee County
- For the League of Women Voters of Manatee County Citizen’s Spreadsheet with Elected Officials (which includes names, addresses, telephone numbers and emails), Click Here
Commissioner contact information is in the county tab, highlighted in yellow
School Board contact information is in the county tab, highlighted in blue
- For a spreadsheet with the contact information for all the Florida state Representatives and Senators, Click Here
ADVICE ON CONTACTING YOUR LEGISLATOR
- State your purpose for writing in the first sentence of your correspondence.
- Be courteous and polite, even if you disagree strongly with the Commissioner.
- If appropriate, include personal information about why the issue matters to you.
- Cover only one issue per email or letter. If you have another issue to address, please write another message. Back up your opinions with supporting facts.
- Tell what effect you think a particular issue will have on you, your children, business or community. Be concise but specific.
- Suggest a course of action and offer assistance. Never make promises or threats.
TRAINING AND GUIDE TO MAKING PUBLIC COMMENTS
Do you want to tell elected officials what is on your mind, but don’t because:
- you don’t know how?
- you don’t think it will make a difference?
- you feel nervous or don’t like public speaking?
- you are too busy?
Join us on July 24, 2023 from 4:30 – 5:30pm, for a virtual one-hour public comment training where we will take the mystery out of the advocacy process, and give you the tools to help you feel confident sharing your viewpoint publicly with decision-makers in government and/or school boards. You will learn that engaging with your elected representatives is not difficult, and they appreciate hearing your point of view. Remember, without citizen engagement, democracy dies. Your elected officials work for you. Let them know what you think.
This program was developed by the LWVMC Government and Social Issues Action Teams. Special guest speakers include Misty Servia and Betsy Benac, who both served as Manatee County Commissioners. We look forward to learning and growing with you!
Explore our Guide to Making Public Comments.
CITIZEN INITIATIVE INFORMATION
Want to understand the Florida Citizen initiative process to get a constitutional amendment on the ballot? Click Here