The League of Women Voters of Florida supports state legislation for energy conservation and greater use of renewable sources like solar energy. LWVFL supports legislation to ban oil and gas drilling off Florida’s coast, as well as funding for public transportation. The league supports renewable energy and clean cars.
Our Key Issues include:
- Protect the health and environment from the impacts of phosphate mining.
- Establish permanent funding for acquisition of sensitive natural places when they become available.
Our Natural Resources Local Program includes:
- Promote protection for Manatee County’s ecosystems and natural resources.
- Conduct educational programs and advocate to address climate change and other environmental issues.
- Encourage conservation land acquisition in Manatee County and monitor the implementation of the successful county referendum.
- Encourage the local use of clean energy, energy conservation, and carbon neutrality.
- Participate in environmental collaborations and FL-LWV initiatives.
Florida LWV Natural Resources and Clean Energy Priorities include:
- Support legislation focused on improving water quality.
- Support resiliency and adaptation to Integrative Climate Change and Sea Level Rise.
- Support funding for completing Everglades Agricultural Area and Florida Forever.
- Support expanded solar and a elective vehicle network of charging stations.
- Protect our natural springs from nutrient runoff and unsuitable uses. (i.e., commercially bottled water).
- Promote resource conservation, stewardship and long-range planning, with the responsibility for managing natural resources shared by all levels of government.
- Support the preparation and implementation of a new state growth management plan that addresses current needs.
- Support intergovernmental stewardship of and fiscal responsibility for the Florida coast, under the management of the state, while recognizing the dominance of nature and the role of the sand transport system.
Join the Natural Resources Action Team? Contact Co-Chairs